Thursday 21 August 2014


FINDING BEAUTY EVERY DAY...



On a daily basis, I like to feel inspired!
Inspired in particular by something beautiful….whether through my design work, creating beautiful schemes that match my clients' needs and taste….through to something as simple as appreciating beauty in the nature that surrounds me when I walk my dogs each day.  It could be a beautiful basket of vegetables freshly picked from the garden, through  to a simple but beautiful table setting for an everyday but deliciously cooked midweek supper.  Taking ten minutes out of a busy working day to have that relaxing morning cup of coffee. Flowers from the garden, or picked up in my weekly farmer's market.  I love finding beauty and inspiration from travel, but equally, there is so much beauty all around us in our own environment, whether we live in a country or urban setting.  Not always the obvious things either, as it is often the small and least unexpected things and aspects of our lives that can be the most beautiful and rewarding. We just have to be open to seeing it,  and we will find it. 

Beautiful books are my great weakness….a package from Amazon once in a while is always a treat.  Design books in particular.  For me there is nothing nicer and more indulgent than to curl up on the sofa with a glass of wine and a fabulous new coffee table book, and I would love to share with you today, a couple of new additions to my ever growing collection!




'Beauty at Home' by Aerin Lauder... 
Aerin is the granddaughter of legendary beauty empire entrepreneur Estée Lauder, and now at the helm of this iconic brand.  This beautiful book gives an insight in to Aerin's home life, both in her New York apartment, and at Estée's former home in the Hamptons which she and her family have inherited.  With stunning photography throughout, it depicts beautifully how these uber glamorous and luxurious homes still combine the comforts and simple pleasures for family life.   A stunning visual feast of beauty, which I have so enjoyed...




… 'Living Life Beautifully' by Christina Strutt of 'Cabbages and Roses'…
Using the core values originally created by Christine for her 'Cabbages and Roses' lifestyle brand of 'beauty, simplicity, longevity, integrity and sustainability', this lovely book shows how Christina has put all of these values into practice in her own home and work spaces, and those of a number of artists who share a love of Cabbages & Roses, to create beautiful places where life and work mingle.  From a country house to an urban apartment, Christina shows how easy it is to 'live life beautifully'.  With her wonderfully eclectic and pretty, pale vintage interiors, this is a charming and gorgeous book which I am sure you will love too.






Both conveying a completely different style to each other, but both women with a design and home life ethos after my own heart…our homes should be our sanctuaries, and with a little thought, imagination and planning, we can all have 'Beauty' in our day to day lives.

Have you come across any particularly inspiring design reads recently?  I would love to hear your recommendations!

Happy Thursday…

Sophia xx



3 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia,
    Yes I agree about curling up with a good book.
    I must admit I'd had my eye on the Aerin Lauder book after spying it on the make up counter of Estee Lauder of all places! There are some beautiful images, and she is so stylish. I don't know the other book, but I'll look out for it now.
    Hope you have a lovely day,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the delivery of books from Amazon, I spend way too much time searching for new titles. I have the wonderful Christina Strutt book and dip into to it constantly for inspiration. Very interested in the Aerin Lauder book, may look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your books look beautiful Sophia. Especially the one by Christina Strutt appeals to me. I like her light, romantic style. Now and then I buy interior books like this as well, but I have to admit that they often are a bit more colourful. The last ones I bought are Vintage Home, by Sarah Moore and Granny chic by Dottie Angel. I love to leave through them, especially on a rainy day like today.

    Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete